top of page
  • Writer's pictureJMA Joinery

Saving A Piece Of Cleethorpes History - The Final Push

In our last blog post, we found window frames in the ceiling as well as cracks in the external walls. In today's blog, we finish off the joinery inside and hand the building over to the painters for the finishing touches.


 

As we had patched up what we could on the Tyrolean outside, we now went back inside to finish up.

Our team split into two. One team installed the kitchen while the other laid the laminate flooring.


No major issues were encountered while fitting the kitchen or laying the laminate. However, when we moved on to the door frames and doors, we realised there would be an issue with how the doors opened.



When we started thinking about hanging the new doors, we realised that due to the old internal walls not being 100% straight, if we had just hung the door on the old frames, each door would swing open by themselves. We realised this could be a safety issue due to the doors being heavy.

To combat this and ensure the doors don't swing open, we had to install all new door frames which might sound simple enough .. but it wasn't.


When we started installing the new frames, we realised that we'd need to add more timber to each frame as there were would be gaps between the architraves and the wall. The reason for this was that the original walls were slanted and not straight.

The solution ... add timber fillets to each frame.


A fillet is a length of timber which can be slid between two things to bridge a gap. In this instance it was a length of door frame. However, our fillets had to be carefully made as one end could be 2mm thick and the other end 10mm. Safe to say, the joiner who did these did a good job as you couldn't tell the frame had fillets.


After the door frames were installed, next came hanging the doors which, due to the prep work, were fairly simple to do. We then added skirting throughout the house and treated each knot in the wood so they wouldn't show through when painted.



Whilst we were finishing off the doors and skirting, the plumbers finished installing the bathroom and also the electricians finished installing the lights and sockets.


The final joinery work was to make the chalets entrance hall more practical by adding some cabinets. To do this we made a simple frame out of timber and used MDF for the outside. These turned out better than expected due to the great work our joiner did as you can see in the below image.



Now that the inside joinery, electrics, and plumbing have been finished, it is over to the painters to paint the woodwork and walls. Our work is now done, and we have finished our part in renovating 122 Main Road, Fitties. It's safe to say this has been one of our favorite projects to date. Not only because we got to save one of the historical Cleethorpes chalets, but we also got to see the process go from a run-down chalet to a high-end family holiday home, which we hope the customer's family will enjoy for years to come.







Comments


bottom of page